Friday, October 14, 2011

My Pre Half Marathon (Pro Wrestling like) Promo

  Well, everyone this is the week. Columbus Marathon week. Whenever you are running the Full 26.2 Mile Marathon or running the 13.1 Half of it you all know that you have prepared weeks in advance to get yourself pumped up, running the miles, the stretching, and especially maintaining your focus up to this point. Mental Focus, that is 1/2 the battle of it like they say in those G.I. Joe public service things after the fighting is done in every episode. I know myself firsthand the instances where it has been hard maintaining that focus whenever you run the full or the half.

    So I try to come up with a way as if a wrestler would do it with a wrestling promo before a big match. Many of you know I was a huge pro wrestling fan in the past and I kind of pay attention to it today. Thanks to the power of YouTube I usually in my leisure time like to be entertained by watching Pro Wrestling Clips from the 80's, 90's and the last decades. Now this promo blog isn't going to be like what type of promo say Macho Man Randy Savage would give. But you can watch for a good laugh.



 Or Defintely not an Ultimate Warrior type of Promo



Though both of them are funny. I tend this blog to be more of a Terry Funk or Dusty Rhodes related. A little bit from the heart and not from a script.



Terry Funk Promo

Another favorite promo of mine is from Dusty Rhodes talking about hard times and coming back from his injury and how it relates to everyone trying to make it through rough times.



   Many of you haven't watched pro wrestling like I have but Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes are speaking of the tough times they had to go through in order to become World Champion. Dusty Rhodes related his promo to hard times that everyday people who are unemployed or underpaid go through. The job I may have may not be the best but I feel good in the work that I do and I know with the experience I could move up.
    Dusty's promo makes me think that the injuries I have may not seem so major compared to others whom wished they could run or those who are disabled who can't get the chance sadly. I feel fortunate for that. My Aunt Debbie has had MS for quite sometime I can remember but she is defintely one the most sweetest  people I know. I don't see her that often because she lives out in Colorado, but she's always encouraging me in my running. She also great at making jewerly and she gave me a multi-color necklace. I like to wear it in honor for those whom suffer from MS. Like I said I feel very blessed to be out there running and there are those who can't
  Terry Funk's promo spoke about wanting to win the world title for his father who never got to see him win his first world title 2 years after his father died. Which he did win and helped ECW at the time get off the ground in the late 90's.  I tend to want to run this race for everyone that has supported me still especially for my high school coach, Paul Gibson, who sadly passed away this past summer and mentioned in one of my blogs.

http://dmoneystwocents.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-than-just-coach.html

  It is those people my family, friends, and teammates that help me maintain that balance whenever life gets crazy in a certain type of way.

   I run with my CRC peeps on Mondays and Saturdays or whenever I can because at least almost everyone of them in the groups is training for a Marathon or Half whenever it be in Columbus this weekend or elsewhere sometime this fall. Even enjoying their company as the time passes. I guess we all just try to feed off each others' motivation and energy to get through our runs or races together.
   
   Also, with the people from my church and small group I look forward to seeing them whenever it be in service or in small group. They have become a great support for me during this past summer and fall whenever I was slowly trying to whip myself back into racing shape thinking to myself that my body was giving up after having a terrible muscle strain in my hips. I've gotten to know almost all of them much better this past summer thanks to going to "Breathe" the summer retreat, hanging out with them and making me yearn not only to be a good Christian but a better person as well.

    My family has been very helpful maintaining that focus. I think that no matter what I do or what place I finish as long as it has been with class and dignity they are proud of me no matter what. I hope that it puts a smile to their faces that they know I'm doing something that I love which is what any parent wants their children to do. They have been my biggest fans since I have competed in distance running in high school.
   
   But, I believe no matter what this Sunday PR or not I want to go out there and bust one to the best of my ability that day in the half. The Columbus Marathon has been one of my most favorite races whenever I have competed in it or not the last 6 years. Just hearing the stories and seeing different types of people cheer you on or others that they know is what it's all about.

Runners who are running this sunday this kind of sums up what Terry Funk said in his promo, "This Sunday we are going to race hard and finish OUR WAY!! This Sunday it's going to be our day no matter what. Cause there is no better feeling when you're out there racing having the city cheer you on whenever it be to a PR, Qualify for Boston, or just saying that you did it. Getting that medal afterwards is worth the months of preparation. Who knows you might want to plan your next one.

But, I'll leave you with this be smart, excited, positive and especially patient. I quote 2 Timothy "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  So runners keep the faith, and go for your own personal victory.

I'm D-Money and that's my Two Cents

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Dustin!! I just read your blog to kayre, Sharon and Joel and they want to know why motion didn 't get a shout out!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Beth you are part of my church friends especially. I just forgot to mention Motion in general. Good luck to you guys this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete