Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Race Summary: Dublin Irish Festival 5K


  Well, after a 3 1/2 month absence due to hip flexor issues (my psoas muscle) I've been able to run a 5k now. This past Thursday I ran the Dublin Irish Festival 5k in the evening which kicked off the Dublin Irish Festival itself. It was pretty warm that evening. I warmed up with a couple of the C bus Pacers then I was able to stretch and get my flats on and ready to run. I admit I was pretty nervous knowing that it had been awhile I had ran a 5k or over in a race since Boston not knowing how I would feel. I put heat all over my hips before I got to the starting line.
 The bagpipes were playing during the strideouts which was cool. After the national anthem we were off. Some dumb crazy high schoolers sprinted out to begin the race. I took past them and one guy followed. His name was John Kieffer who runs for Centre College and he runs a 9:20 3000M Steeple. The first mile was down hill a little then we turned right and went around a neighborhood block for the first mile which I got in 4:50. I didn't think I would feel this good. After going down the little hill the course ended back up on Dublin Road/High Street where the race began. Another kid who placed 2nd passed me. He goes to Florida Southern.
  We turned right on Rings Road for a slight upgrade then down a 180 turn before we reached Frantz Road heading back where you can see the other racers coming back. I ran 2 miles at 9:50. I still think it was just a little short. After turning on Dublin Road/High Street the race headed all the way back up into downtown Dublin where the race started. The ending sucked cause it was at least .75 or .8 mile long back to the finish. I was able to finish in 15:51 for 3rd. Probably 9-15 seconds short but I'll take that result after how I've been feeling last couple months dealing with hip problems and getting back into the racing mindset. Here is me with my hardware.

And me with the other CRC's/C Bus Pacers


Overall it was a good start to possibly getting back to possibly doing a half marathon this fall. The Irish Festival itself was fun. Went there Friday and Saturday. I recommend going to it next year. Gotta sleep when my body wants to in order to run like I want. The mileage is back up to around 70. :) Next up the Columbus Crew 5k this Saturday.

That's my race summary and my two cents. Cheers or as they say in Ireland,   Slainte!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment