Thursday, August 18, 2011

Race Summary: Columbus Crew 5k

Me Finishing the Crew 5k
      Well, this race the past Saturday (August 13th) wasn't too pretty since the top 2 guys blew away from me after the first 1.2 mile but I was able to hold on to 3rd place and get the VIP Lounge seats for the September 10th game against Toronto F.C. I can hang my hat on that. Just to briefly describe the conditions for the race weren't bad. A little bit overcast the morning of and it rained a tiny bit beforehand but it still wasn't hot or sunny that morning which made it good. But, the course wasn't mostly flat with an upgrade in the back part of the Ohio Expo Center as you run past the Ohio Historical Society building at the 2 mile mark. Yet, I ran it in 10:20 which was may off in fact I ran 1 mile in 4:45. I felt pretty good but not that good that morning. I learned that the course is off by .1 mile so its actually a 3.2 K race. But, I guess they wanted people to finish inside the stadium so that's a little understandable.
      Overall, I placed in the Top 3 in the last 2 races I have ran since coming back from injury. Yet, I still feel a little banged up, mostly in the right gluttal/hamstring area. Yep, the area that has given me problems over the last 12 years. I've been doing a lot of core strengthen work to make the hamstrings and hips stronger and I'm starting to feel much better. I just think they are a little bit heavy due to the strengthen.
      I admit I don't think I have taken a really comfortable ice bath then afteward hot bath combo for almost 3 years since the tub at my place doesn't pour out fast enough hot water and when I get the cold water to get it ready to dump the ice in the tub it doesn't get really cold water. The drainage is very tricky as well and I was afraid it may take a little water out as it's filling up. Well, now that's the past. I hope that the bathroom tub at my new place I'm moving too this weekend won't have that problems. Maybe, I can take a great ice bath then hot bath combo to make my legs and body feel much more relaxed. After Boston was the best one I took. :)
     Back to the race though. I looked at my performance as a chance to try to get my racing legs back and realize that I need to do some more long intervals. I did one yesterday( 3 mile WU, 5 mile threshold 85-90%, then a 3 mile CD) not a bad one to do. That and get a little more rest. I'll be glad after moving and unpacking this weekend.
    O yeah, I would recommend everyone that lives around C-Bus who hasn't been to a Columbus Crew Soccer Match to go to one!!! They are fun to go to, the fans are really into it, and the tailgates I go to with my CRC Crew are something.
    Next up is the Muskingum College/University Cross Country Alumni Race on August 28th!! Hopefully I'm still fast enough to beat up the College kids!! Crossin my fingers and keeping myself geared up till then. I'm D-Money and that's my race summary in Two Cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment