Monday, December 3, 2012

What Music Pumps You Up for a Race???


 
Sorry, I haven’t blogged back in awhile. Mind has been kind of wandering among other things but that will be for another post, and of course getting ready with Team Columbus Running Company for the USATF Club Cross Country Nationals this coming weekend down in Lexington. This MMA fighter is full of adrenaline. Which brings me to what I’m about to say in this post. I know a friend of mine told me I should post a little more advice on running and what not which would help others and I thought why not.

But, for today I’ll just talk about a fun topic that we all like, Music. There is music all around us and it typically defines what type of person we are to somebody else of what we listen to. Depending on what mood we are in we can just put in a CD in our cars, put our headphones on and listen to our IPOD’s, or turn to a station and listen away to whatever puts us in the mood.

For athletes it’s a little bit different/ For one I like certain types of music, (Except for anything that’s Justin Bieber, he sucks). But, I know everyone is different when it comes to their music tastes. I for one can’t understand why my sister likes Jessica Simpson or some of my friends like certain Indie bands which I call “Hipster Music.” I would consider myself the Anti-Hipster but that’s for another post maybe. Like I said everyone is different in their music tastes but it’s the certain types of music that either get you motivated, pumped or even get through a workout whenever it be cardio or lifting as I’ve noticed people with their headphones and IPOD’s running on a treadmill or lifting at the gym.

To me great examples of pump up music would be the entrances of MMA Fighters, Pro Wrestlers, Baseball players when they come to bat, or introduction of a starting lineup to home teams in the NBA. Professional sports have become a little more entertainment at times but music that plays during pregame warm-ups motivates players before competition. Same could be said with runners.

Keep in mind everyone knows I’ve Country Music but I don’t listen to it before a workout or a race. For me Country Music is what I love to hear on a long road trip, partying, or playing a great love song to someone ;) But, anyway there’s certain types of bands or songs that I listen to beforehand that just gets me into THAT ZONE everybody says I go into while I’m racing!!
Here are some examples of what I listen to on race day!!
AC F/N DC = Thunderstruck
Metallica = Enter Sandman
Sick Puppies = You're Going Down
Kanye West = Stronger
P.O.D. = Alive
Dropkick Murphys = Warrior's Code (From the Movie The Fighter)
Eminem featuring Nate Dogg = Till I Collaspe
Living Color = Cult of Personality (Because it reminds me of one my favorite Pro wrestlers CM PUNK)
 
Smashing Pumpkins = Bullet with Butterfly Wings


OZZY = Crazy Train


I feel like I'm ready to go bust out 12 (hard) miles and lift after that. But, like I said I like all types of music yet, these are the type of songs that get me going. What are some of your favorites bands, or songs you like to listen to. Would like to hear some feedback on this one especially from all of you runners out there.

That's my two cents!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment